As everyone is closely watching Dorian's progress (it's looking good for SEGa so far, by the way), the Humane Society reminds my fellow pet owners to keep your furbabies in mind when getting ready for a storm.
The Humane Society of the United States’ Animal Rescue Team has put together a terrific pet disaster plan kit to assist families with fuzzy little ones. Your pet's "boogie bag" should include a five day supply of;
- Food and water for each pet. Don't forget bowls and a MANUAL can opener.
- Medications and all accompanying medical records, especially vaccination history. Keep these in a waterproof container or a gallon size freezer bag. Storing them digitally on a flash drive or online is a good idea as well.
- Litter box with extra litter and a scoop.
Additionally, remember these pet travel basics;
- Leashes, harnesses, and carriers.
- A pet first aid kit.
- Make sure your pet is wearing a collar with tags for identification. Ensuring your pet is microchipped is ideal as collars can be easily removed.
- Current photos of you with your pets.
- Comfort items, which may include a pet bed or a special toy, to reduce stress.
- Written information about your pets' medical conditions and any behavior issues along with the name and number of your veterinarian.
Also, the HSUS suggests keeping extra newspapers, paper towels, plastic trash bags, grooming items and household bleach on hand to keep your pet and their belongings clean.